…opened in 1926 as a resting place for the returned men and their families. It was proposed that they could visit and enjoy a picnic with their families, or alternately sit and reflect in the peace and quiet overlooking the town.
The suggestion was made by Mr C.F. White at one of the planning meetings of the Memorial Committee that they consider a useful structure rather than a statue. The Memorial was designed to be seen from the main street of Stanthorpe.